St. Barnabas Chapel

Hours: 8.30am Sundays Morning Service (Open 7 days per week to visitors)

Phone: 22293

The mission church, St Barnabas Chapel, was built as a memorial to Bishop Patterson who was killed by natives in the Solomon Islands in 1871. This church still stands today. Definitely a must see whilst on Norfolk Island.


The foundation stone was laid in November 1875 but the building was not completed until June 1880.

The chapel is simply beautiful. The four windows in the apse depict the four evangelists, the seats are carved and inlaid with Christian symbols in mother-o'-pearl, polished black and white marble paves the broad aisle leading to the sanctuary, which naturally is the most beautiful portion of the chapel, with its coloured marble floor, and glittering mosaic reredos screened with richly-carved wood.

In the centre is a massive silver cross that has been made out of Bishop Patteson's own table-silver, and this is flanked by silver candlesticks and vases of flowers.


Douglas Drive, 2899, Norfolk Island

Share |



© 2011 Norfolk Online News. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Website by Stream Art Design. Facebook Find us on Facebook Find us on Facebook.
powered by Norfolk Island Tourism and Bookeasy